[governance] Caucus process comment

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Thu Aug 4 11:13:42 EDT 2005

 Vittorio wrote:

a sort of "bill of rights" of Internet users, ie the Internet version of the UDHR,

Wolfgang replies:

This could be good idea and initiative. We have Barlows Declaration of Cyberindependence, which needs some streamlining after eight years. But this means some serious work. On the other hand, a Internet Bill of Rights has to be 100% based on the UDHR, otherwise it will undermine the 1948 document. It has to be clear that rights and freedoms offline are also rights and freedoms online. But you can always add some components or specifiy more in detail existing rights. Core elements are certainly access, participation, education, cultural diversity.

Who wants to start with a first draft? Probably we cann publish a call for proposals and organoze one side event during PrepCom3 on the issue. Such a dcoument could be the main contribution of CS for the Tunis Summit, like the CS Declaration in Geneva.

Best