[governance] Caucus process comment

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Thu Aug 4 12:19:24 EDT 2005

Hi,

I strongly agree with Ralf.  I cannot imagine how we would pull off
something this grandiose given the time and available bandwidth, and it
would indeed require a lot of close cooperation with the human rights
community or you'd be opening a real Pandora's Box.  Reaching agreement on
contested issues within one caucus is not hard enough, we should try two?
Nor is it obvious that this is would be particularly strategic move, given
that the debate is focused on entirely different and pressing issues.
Even if we could miraculously come up with a "bill of rights" between now
and mid-September, how would we input that into the process in any
meaningful way when all other stakeholders are busy preparing positions
and burning up the phone lines on other items, which will inter alia eat
up the entire PrepCom and probably spill over into a pre-Summit crisis
negotiation in Tunis?  And basing it on Barlow's weed-soaked
fantasies...dear governments, we declare our virtual selves immune to your
sovereignty...I'm sure they'd be very impressed.  Self-immolation is
always very impressive.

I think Adam spelled out a good approach, and agree that we should try to
say something useful about what is actually on the agenda and to be
decided.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake  wdrake at ictsd.ch
President, Computer Professionals for
   Social Responsibility www.cpsr.org
Senior Associate, International Centre for Trade
   and Sustainable Development www.ictsd.org
   Geneva, Switzerland
http://mitpress.mit.edu/IRGP-series
http://www.cpsr.org/board/drake
Morality is the best of all devices for leading
mankind by the nose.---Nietzsche