[bestbits] [governance] IMPORTANT : Merging IGC with Best Bits

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Jan 9 09:37:07 EST 2019

To fill in a bit of history, if I recall correctly, Avri Doria working from an IETF - style and - meeting-methods tool-box, was instrumental in formalizing IGC procedures back in the day.

By design it was possible to change/modify, but not easy.

Fairness and transparency were rules 1 2 3 etc.

Keeping that procedural and technical infrastructure up after the fracturing/spin-outs of Best Bits and Just Net Coalition, obviously became more difficult after Jeremy Malcolm out of goodness of his heart fatiigue, moved on from maintenance.

Benefits of IGC core procedure is its light-weight, meaning just if folks are on list for 2 months, and pledge allegiance to charter/affirm civil society memebrship, they are voting members; and we just need 2 volunteers to be co-coordinators on staggering terms; plus another fool/I mean kind person like Ian to chair a nomcom when needed.

Of course modifying that charter now would be a thing someone could look into.

BestBits had more formal group membership structure. As I recall.

Anyway, my vote is for a BestBits list person - or a couple - to volunteer to co-coordinate IGC with Arsene, who has been stuck in that role for several years now.

In our collective dreams, if a Best Bits organizational member had the resources to house/revive/support the IGC site, that would be great too.