[bestbits] OFF-TOPIC - Brazil: Return to Terror

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Oct 29 00:55:20 EDT 2018

On 29/10/18 8:07 AM, ian.peter at ianpeter.com wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> not the time for a detailed discussion on this,

Why so Ian, it never seems to be a good time :)

> but I do regard Cgi.br as the best example we have seen of a national
> body addressing internet issues, and a good model.

Yes, it is .... I developed a proposal on it for India to follow it, and
submitted to CS groups here maybe 6 years back, but it somehow did not
fly among them ... I have organised IGF workshops advocating the
Brazilian CGI model with Carlos and others...

But you really need to study the CGI model, the dispersion and power of
groups within it, and its checks and balances, how for instance, groups
reps are elected, only reps of private sector collectives and not
private companies per se are allowed, how public interest interests
actors are always maintained in much greater number than private
interest actors, and so on, plus how it limits itself to matters of
narrow technical governance, and finally how it acts within a larger
democratic national constitutional framework , to understand what is
best in the CGI model.

To use CGI's name and model to seek establishing a WEF based global IG
order instead of UN based one (working with a more democratic ICANN
doing tech governance) is what is fallacious... Mind it, WEF and the
proponents of MS model there were clear that they meant to extend MSism
not just beyond tech governance in IG, but also to all areas beyond
IG... These facts were often and strongly presented here.

> That's the sort of co-operation which internet governance needs within
> each jurisdiction, not models based on market ideologies or trust in a
> pure nation states system. We may never agree on the optimal path
> forward, but I do not see answers in this space until all stakeholders
> co-operate.

Weak and empty world like 'cooperation' when the world is facing basic
political- institutional disasters are not only useless, they are highly
counter-productive... And if you continue to be serious in your
assertion that ideas of citizens, public interest and democracy are
better replaced by stakeholders, stakes and MSism, that IMHO represents
a continuation on a suicidal noelib path.

Sorry if this comes as harsh, but i am just doing a political argument
here.

regards, parminder