[bestbits] Hate Speech Law in India (detailed report)

Chinmayi Arun chinmayiarun at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:34:41 EDT 2018

Dear All,
(apologies for cross-posting)

The Centre for Communication Governance at National Law University, Delhi
is pleased to share its  report on ‘Hate Speech Laws in India’
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDoIwlusnM3ys-1GAYbnTPmepU22b2Zr/view>.

The report maps hate speech laws in India, analysing statutes and caselaw
to discuss the specific legal standards applicable to speech. As a part of
this report, we discuss criminal laws, procedural laws, and medium-specific
laws applicable to the internet, television and film, amongst others. Our
analysis of hate speech jurisprudence covers a range of cases, from book
bans to internet shutdowns.

We hope that this report is useful to some of you, and that it serves as a
resource for practising lawyers, journalists, activists and researchers.

We welcome feedback, comments and questions and will be happy to support
anyone who wishes to build on this report.

Warm regards,
Team CCG-NLUD