[bestbits] Xiamen Statement from BRICS Summit 2017

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 10:10:16 EDT 2017

Hi

Thanks for sending this material.

Uninterruptedly on the news cycle in Brazil was our president
participation in this.
I heard so many BRICS mentions in Globonews that I almost forgot we
had corruptions indictments all over the country ongoing.

While it is good that there's support for a BRICS action, there's also
great concern here as it is not easy to identify consistent policy
proposals in AI, IOT and other emerging issues from the interim
government yet. All we know is that IOT, for instance, is high on the
list for the new government and they went as far as trying an
overnight consultation to "re-mold" our internet steering committee
and help on moving this forward. So it is expected that IOT and
concerns for privacy and digital rights may not be things moving
together.
However, the recent win in India in privacy cases gives us hope and
maybe a path to follow.

It is also a time when Brazil and other LAC countries turn into
cybersecurity for counterterrorism heavily. This has been moved mainly
through the participation in OAS initiatives, among other IGOs which
are moving people along these debates.

Best,

Renata