[bestbits] Xiamen Statement from BRICS Summit 2017

Ryan Johnson ryan.johnson at accesspartnership.com
Tue Sep 5 17:18:44 EDT 2017

Thanks Pranesh,

I might add that Para 56 also has some impact on the cybersecurity elements of internet governance, and should be considered carefully as well. While I’m not (yet) an expert in the BRICS roadmap on ICT security, I’m sure there’s a lot in that document that merits review by civil society and other stakeholders.

56\. We consider the UN has a central role in developing universally accepted norms of responsible state behavior in the use of ICTs to ensure a peaceful, secure, open, cooperative, stable, orderly, accessible and equitable ICT environment. We emphasize the paramount importance of the principles of international law enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, particularly the state sovereignty, the political independence, territorial integrity and sovereign equality of states, non-interference in internal affairs of other states and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. We emphasize the need to enhance international cooperation against terrorist and criminal misuse of ICTs, reaffirm the general approach laid in the eThekwini, Fortaleza, Ufa and Goa declarations in this regard, and recognize the need for a universal regulatory binding instrument on combatting the criminal use of ICTs under the UN auspices as stated in the Ufa Declaration. We note with satisfaction the progress achieved by the Working Group of Experts of the BRICS States on Security in the use of ICTs. We decide to promote cooperation according to the BRICS Roadmap of Practical Cooperation on Ensuring Security in the Use of ICTs or any other mutually agreed mechanism and acknowledge the initiative of the Russian Federation on a BRICS intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in ensuring security in the use of ICTs.

Best,

Ryan Johnson