[bestbits] Xiamen Statement from BRICS Summit 2017

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Sep 4 09:23:21 EDT 2017

Dear all,
I've pasted below 3 paragraphs that I feel are important to Internet
governance from the Xiamen Statement released today:

(Link to PDF) https://goo.gl/Py31Um

57\. We believe that all states should participate on an equal footing
in the evolution and functioning of the Internet and its governance,
bearing in mind the need to involve relevant stakeholders in their
respective roles and responsibilities. The structures that manage and
regulate the critical Internet resources need to be made more
representative and inclusive. We note with satisfaction the progress
made by the BRICS Working Group on ICT Cooperation. We recognize the
necessity to strengthen our cooperation in this area. To that end, BRICS
will continue to work together through the existing mechanism to
contribute to the secure, open, peaceful and cooperative use of ICTs on
the basis of equal participation of the international community in its
management.

50\. We call upon all nations to adopt a comprehensive approach in
combating terrorism, which should include countering radicalization,
recruitment, movement of terrorists including Foreign Terrorist
Fighters, blocking sources of financing terrorism including, for
instance, through organized crime by means of money-laundering, supply
of weapons, drug trafficking and other criminal activities, dismantling
terrorist bases, and countering misuse of the Internet including social
media by terrorist entities through misuse of the latest Information and
Communication Technologies (ICTs). We are committed to prevent and
counter the growing spread of terrorist narratives, and to tackle all
sources, techniques and channels of terrorist financing. We call for
swift and effective implementation of relevant UNSC Resolutions and the
FATF International Standards worldwide. We seek to intensify our
cooperation in FATF and FATF-style regional bodies (FSRBs). We recall
the responsibility of all States to prevent financing of terrorist
networks and terrorist actions from their territories.

12\. We highlight the importance of innovation as a key driver for mid
and long term economic growth and global sustainable development. We
commit to promote cooperation on science, technology and innovation
(STI) to forge synergy in tapping new growth momentum for our five
economies and continue to address the development challenges we face. We
commend the selection of BRICS research and development projects under
the BRICS STI Framework Program and note the launch of the 2nd call for
projects. We welcome the BRICS STI Cooperation MOU and support enhanced
cooperation on innovation and entrepreneurship, including by promoting
technology transfer and application, cooperation among science and
technology parks and enterprises as well as mobility of researchers,
entrepreneurs, professionals and students. We encourage increased
participation of the academia, businesses, civil society and other
stakeholders in this process, and support the promotion of STI
investment and cross-border investment through existing funding,
institutions and platforms including the NDB. We agree to continue to
work on a cooperation platform for innovation and entrepreneurship and
support the implementation of the BRICS Innovation Cooperation Action
Plan 2017-2020.

13\. We reaffirm our commitment to BRICS industrial cooperation,
including on industrial capacities and policies, new industrial
infrastructure and standards, and among small, micro and medium-sized
enterprises (SMMEs), so as to jointly seize the opportunities brought
about by the new industrial revolution and expedite our respective
industrialization processes. We encourage exploring the establishment of
BRICS Institute of Future networks.

We will enhance joint BRICS research, development and innovation in ICT
including the Internet of Things, Cloud computing, Big Data, Data
Analytics, Nanotechnology, Artificial Intelligence and 5G and their
innovative applications to elevate the level of ICT infrastructure and
connectivity in our countries. We will advocate the establishment of
internationally applicable rules for security of ICT infrastructure,
data protection and the Internet that can be widely accepted by all
parties concerned, and jointly build a network that is safe and secure.
We will increase investment of ICT, recognize the need to further
increase investment in ICT Research and development, unleash the
dynamics of innovation in producing goods and services. We encourage
identification and facilitation of partnership between institutes,
organizations, enterprises in the implementation of proof of concepts
and pilot projects by leveraging complementary strengths in ICT
hardware, software and skills through developing next generation of
innovative solutions in the areas of smart cities, health care and
energy efficient device, etc. We support active collaboration in
implementing the BRICS ICT Development Agenda and Action Plan.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh