[bestbits] Should a U.S. candidate back away?

Ayden Férdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Wed Aug 23 17:53:56 EDT 2017

Speaking only for myself here, I think it is unnecessary for one to withdraw on the basis of their nationality. We are having an election to determine our representation on the Steering Committee, which is, I think, the best path forward. Personally I do not want the US out of the playground and no Americans in leadership positions; I just don't want them to be the biggest kid around.

The question of representation and diversity, and what serving on the Steering Committee symbolises is quite another matter. We use geography as a rough proxy for addressing overall population diversity, and I think that's what you're getting at here, but it is not, in my humble opinion, a very good one. Diversity can also be seen along cultural, economic, linguistic, and ideological lines. My hope, more than anything else for the Steering Committee, is that our representatives are able to bring unique perspectives to the role.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)