[bestbits] Should a U.S. candidate back away?

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Wed Aug 23 18:37:05 EDT 2017

Thanks Ayden,

I share your thoughts on these ++1.  Personally I decide to be involved
within the SC as I certainly love the policy dialogue that goes own within
BestBits and appreciate the varied intellect and opinions within BestBits.
Yes am from the global south, however me been from the global south alone
does not guarantee me any right to be on the BestBits SC if i fail to bring
value to it and grow the movement, I belief I will add value to the various
policy dialogue within BestBits on IG and help promote such within my civil
society constituency in my "Neck of the Woods" based on BestBits overall
objectives.

So value added is the important yardstick for me.

Kind Regards

Poncelet

On 23 August 2017 at 22:53, Ayden Férdeline <ayden at ferdeline.com> wrote:

> Speaking only for myself here, I think it is unnecessary for one to
> withdraw on the basis of their nationality. We are having an election to
> determine our representation on the Steering Committee, which is, I think,
> the best path forward. Personally I do not want the US out of the
> playground and no Americans in leadership positions; I just don't want them
> to be the biggest kid around.
>
> The question of representation and diversity, and what serving on the
> Steering Committee symbolises is quite another matter. We use geography as
> a rough proxy for addressing overall population diversity, and I think
> that's what you're getting at here, but it is not, in my humble opinion, a
> very good one. Diversity can also be seen along cultural, economic,
> linguistic, and ideological lines. My hope, more than anything else for the
> Steering Committee, is that our representatives are able to bring unique
> perspectives to the role.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ayden Férdeline
> linkedin.com/in/ferdeline <http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline>

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240