[bestbits] Should a U.S. candidate back away?

Dave Burstein daveb at dslprime.com
Wed Aug 23 17:35:45 EDT 2017

Folks

I care deeply about policy issues, so I'd be glad to serve BestBits, a
valuable Forum.

Whan I volunteered, there was a shortage of candidates. That's now changed;
five other people whose experience suggests that they are appropriate are
now running.

The "Internet Governance" space has been dominated by the U.S. and allies
while the majority of Internet users are now on the other side of the
global North-South divide.

If a few people email me offlist, I'll withdraw. It's no great sacrifice to
give up an unpaid post, especially when I'm swamped with work.

On the other hand, I do bring some strengths to the group. I'm a tech
reporter who has learned a great deal about networks over 18 years. I've
made a point of asking those in the Global South what are most important
international policies for bringing down the cost of access. (Answers
include: the high cost of backhaul/transit, unreasonable royalties, and the
unwillingness of giant companies to hire or pay taxes locally.)

I'm the only candidate from the U.S. and back away if a few people think I
should.

Dave