[bestbits] Fwd: Sept 30 - EVENT: How do we keep the Internet free of government control?

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 21:20:37 EDT 2016

---------- Mensagem encaminhada ----------
De: "Mueller, Milton L" <milton at gatech.edu>
Data: 14 de set de 2016 8:20 PM
Assunto: [governance] EVENT: How do we keep the Internet free of government
control?
Para: "Discussion list for GigaNet Members" <
GIGANET-MEMBERS at listserv.syr.edu>
Cc: "governance at lists.igcaucus.org" <governance at lists.igcaucus.org>, "
NCSG-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU" <NCSG-DISCUSS at listserv.syr.edu>

You're invited to a Legislative Branch Capacity Working Group event:

<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-r/>

· YOU'RE INVITED · *The Future of ICANN: What's Next for Internet
Governance?*

On Oct. 1, the National Telecommunications and Infrastructure
Administration’s (NTIA) contract with the nonprofit Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) expires and the transition to a
global multistakeholder governance model goes into effect. Unless, of
course, Congress stops it.

Regardless of what happens on Oct. 1, the debate over the ICANN transition
raises important questions about what it will take to keep the Internet
truly free. These include: How do we prevent influential special interests
or authoritarian governments from using ICANN as an online cop? Should
we keep ICANN's mission limited to technical functions? What is the
viability of alternative systems, such as blockchain-based domain servers?

As Congress grapples with this issue, they must consider the political and
technological implications of the transition, and the diplomatic
consequences of delaying it further or blocking it altogether.

Join us <http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-y/> for lunch and
a lively discussion of the future of internet governance, with an expert
panel that includes:

***

*Anne Hobson*
*Fellow, R Street Institute (Moderator*)

*Milton Mueller*
*Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology; Director, Internet Governance
Project*

*Eli Dourado*
*Research Fellow & Technology Policy Program Director, Mercatus Center at
George Mason University*

Additional panelists TBA.

***

*LUNCH WILL BE SERVED (TAYLOR GOURMET)*

*Click here to RSVP* <http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-j/>

WHERE

R Street Institute
1050 17th St NW #1150
Washington, DC

WHEN

Friday, September 30
At 11:45am

<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-t/>

<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-i/>

<http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-l-kihykll-kridudyuu-d/>

R Street Institute
1050 17th St NW #1150
Washington, DC 20036

You are most likely receiving this email because you previously connected
with someone on our team, attended one of our events, or signed up on our
website. Follow the links below to adjust your communication preferences.

*Like* <http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-fb-kihykll-kridudyuu-h/>

*Tweet* <http://email.rstreet.org/t/i-tw-kihykll-kridudyuu-p/>

*Forward*
<http://rstreetinstitute.forwardtomyfriend.com/i-kridudyuu-974216CC-kihykll-l-x>