[bestbits] Civil Society Letter on IANA Transition

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed May 25 05:10:22 EDT 2016

Hi Pranesh, all

This letter was an effort by a small number of US and intl civil society
groups to address some unfortunate characterizations and spin related to
human rights and free expression issues associated with the IANA
Transition that have arisen over the past month in the media and on
Capitol Hill.

The letter was intended to be available for the Senate hearing yesterday
and to be entered in the record.  It addresses a number of concerns that
were raised in the hearing.  The statement was only finalized Monday night.

I understand that you have concerns about the power dynamics at play in
the IANA transition but that is not the purpose of this letter.

It is up on the BestBits site for sign on.   For those who agree with
the contents of the letter I encourage you to sign up.

Thanks!

Matthew

On 5/25/2016 9:11 AM, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> Dear all,
> I recently came across this:
> http://bestbits.net/iana-transition/
>
> However, I never saw its contents being discussed on this list. Did I
> somehow fail to receive those messages?
>
> I am quite concerned about the way the letter takes an uncritical
> global North approach to the IANA transition, and refuses to contend
> with the power dynamics at play.
>
>> The undersigned civil society and public interest groups believe that
>> the IANA transition is a positive development for the Domain Name
>> System and for the Internet at large, and that the process to develop
>> the transition proposal has been a successful expression of
>> multistakeholder approaches to Internet decision-making.
>
> I have pointed out in the past that this IANA transition process fails
> the requirements of the NetMundial Statement, and was primarily led by
> corporate interests in the US, and men:
> http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/global-multistakeholder-community-neither-global-nor-multistakeholder
>

> Regards,
> Pranesh

Matthew Shears | Director, Global Internet Policy & Human Rights Project
Center for Democracy & Technology | cdt.org
E: mshears at cdt.org | T: +44.771.247.2987