[bestbits] Civil Society Letter on IANA Transition

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Wed May 25 04:11:51 EDT 2016

Dear all,
I recently came across this:
http://bestbits.net/iana-transition/

However, I never saw its contents being discussed on this list.  Did I
somehow fail to receive those messages?

I am quite concerned about the way the letter takes an uncritical global
North approach to the IANA transition, and refuses to contend with the
power dynamics at play.

> The undersigned civil society and public interest groups believe that the IANA transition is a positive development for the Domain Name System and for the Internet at large, and that the process to develop the transition proposal has been a successful expression of multistakeholder approaches to Internet decision-making.

I have pointed out in the past that this IANA transition process fails
the requirements of the NetMundial Statement, and was primarily led by
corporate interests in the US, and men:
http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/global-multistakeholder-community-neither-global-nor-multistakeholder

Regards,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh