[bestbits] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:14:17 EDT 2015

Hi

FWIW I was sitting next to Larry and understood Padmini to be asking whether the US Congress would support ICANN leaving the US.  I believe he did too, and hence his emphatic answer was that no, the Congress has said clearly that it will not support this.  He then noted that some governments have raised the consequent question of jurisdiction over disputes and suggested this is an appropriate matter to get into.  So I was puzzled when I saw your message because he did not say anything about multistakeholder governance, much less whether "US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control.”

It may be that we didn’t understand the question correctly and mistakenly focused on the ICANN leaving piece, as she was at the end of a long table. But if her question was exactly as you’re reporting it then his answer was clearly non-responsive, in which case a less inventive interpretation would seem apt.

Best

Bill