[bestbits] [governance] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Oct 20 07:53:10 EDT 2015

Dear Gene and Milton,
Respectfully, you seem to have missed this bit from Larry's testimony before the House Sub-committee, which prompted this question.

https://youtu.be/8v-yWye5I0w

"It's today, in the byelaws, that ICANN will remain in California, and of course their articles of incorporation as currently established require that it be a California corporation. So, there has been no proposal - serious proposal, made in the course of these discussions to move the location of ICANN outside of the United States. Frankly, if it were being proposed, I don't think that such a proposal would satisfy our criteria, specifically the one that requires that security and stability be maintained. So, we expect that this would continue on into the future."

It's not just Strickling's view on what Congress would say, but the administration's precondition. Unless, of course he lied before the House Sub-committee.

Regards,
Pranesh