[bestbits] Zero rating and the silent voices

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:06:38 EST 2015

I am very happy to discover that this is of concern to others as well.
I brought it up in WS21, the SIDS Roundtable on Thursday morning (12th),
and again in WS235 (??) the reporting on the Stanford Deliberative Poll on
Friday morning (13th). Considering the benefits of consultation and
inclusion we are promised for the age of the internet it seems rather
cavalier to talk of "connecting the next billion" without asking them about
how, or indeed whether, they would like to be connected.
So thank you for the article
Deirdre

On 23 November 2015 at 11:35, Jonathan Jacobs <jonathan at gp-digital.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just to let everyone know that we've just published an article by GPD's
> Executive Director Andrew Puddephatt, entitled Zero rating and the silent
> voices
> <http://www.gp-digital.org/gpd-update/zero-rating-and-the-silent-voices-notes-on-igf-2015/>
> .
>
> In the article, Andrew argues that in current debates around zero-rating
> networks, one group is strikingly and disturbing absent - *people who
> don’t have access to the internet. *As a result, current debates around
> initiatives like Free Basics are unbalanced, based on ideology rather than
> hard data or feedback from affected communities. To change this, Andrew
> proposes concrete actions:
>
> "To start with, we need to pressure zero-rating service providers to be
> more transparent and systematic in making data available on reach, uptake
> and progression onto paid services. We can then take that data and use it
> to inform an empirical, evidence-led approach to zero-networks -
> dispassionately analysing their impact through the lens of a broader,
> positive agenda for better access. We could also push for the inclusion of
> representatives from low-access communities at internet forums, and
> undertake research to find out how different communities use zero-rating,
> and why."
>

> Read the full article here:
> http://www.gp-digital.org/gpd-update/zero-rating-and-the-silent-voices-notes-on-igf-2015/
>
> We'd be interested to hear any feedback on the article; and please share
> on your networks with anyone who might be interested.
>
> Best,
> Jonathan
>
> --
> *Jonathan Jacobs*
> Communications and Operations Officer | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL
> Development House, 56–64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT
> Skype: jonathan.gpdigital
> Tel: (+44)207 549 0337
> gp-digital.org

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979