[bestbits] Zero rating and the silent voices

Jonathan Jacobs jonathan at gp-digital.org
Mon Nov 23 10:35:48 EST 2015

Hi all,

Just to let everyone know that we've just published an article by GPD's
Executive Director Andrew Puddephatt, entitled Zero rating and the silent
voices
<http://www.gp-digital.org/gpd-update/zero-rating-and-the-silent-voices-notes-on-igf-2015/>
.

In the article, Andrew argues that in current debates around zero-rating
networks, one group is strikingly and disturbing absent - *people who don’t
have access to the internet. *As a result, current debates around
initiatives like Free Basics are unbalanced, based on ideology rather than
hard data or feedback from affected communities. To change this, Andrew
proposes concrete actions:

"To start with, we need to pressure zero-rating service providers to be
more transparent and systematic in making data available on reach, uptake
and progression onto paid services. We can then take that data and use it
to inform an empirical, evidence-led approach to zero-networks -
dispassionately analysing their impact through the lens of a broader,
positive agenda for better access. We could also push for the inclusion of
representatives from low-access communities at internet forums, and
undertake research to find out how different communities use zero-rating,
and why."

Read the full article here:
http://www.gp-digital.org/gpd-update/zero-rating-and-the-silent-voices-notes-on-igf-2015/

We'd be interested to hear any feedback on the article; and please share on
your networks with anyone who might be interested.

Best,
Jonathan

--
*Jonathan Jacobs*
Communications and Operations Officer | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL