[bestbits] Best Bits working group on Broadcasting Treaty?

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 07:31:40 EST 2015

This is the page I built while at EFF
https://www.eff.org/issues/wipo-broadcasting-treaty among other resources.
I agree with Nick, that if BB participants are interested in the debate,
there should be a minimal coordination with the Broadcast Treaty coalition.
Maybe a first step would be to ask that coalition which the of action would
be helpful. You are totally right that there is an IG angle to it. So, I do
see a role of BB. But better to identify first which role would be that. C

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2015, at 12:17 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton at consensus.pro>
> wrote:
>

> FYI, there is quite a bit of civil society coordination on this treaty,
> and that's been true for almost a decade. EFF has always been a part of it,
> starting under Gwen and then following on with Carolina, and there are many
> others from civil society involved. There's actually a strong coalition of
> industry and civil society that works very closely together on this treaty
> and has for many years; I was the de-facto coordinator of it for a long
> time, and I'm still very involved in it.
>
> It would be duplicative for BestBits to start from scratch on this very
> technical and long-running process and it could be counterproductive to
> have two separate coalitions of civil society coming up with separate
> will seize on any perception of differences between communities to argue
> that the treaty should move forward.
>

> It wasn’t my suggestion, it was one of the other WIPO regulars who I guess
> felt that there was an Internet governance perspective missing from those
> dealing with this there.  As you say EFF has been one of those involved at
> WIPO and I’m covering that now; I was at the last meeting and have read
> Gwen’s files.  Perhaps having participants from Best Bits join the existing
> list could work equally well so thanks for telling people about that, but I
> will go back to the person who proposed this and get his further thoughts.
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Global Policy Analyst
> Electronic Frontier Foundation
> https://eff.org
> jmalcolm at eff.org
>
> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>
> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::
>
> Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
>
> PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
> OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD
>
> Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
> https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*
*Public Knowledge*