[bestbits] Best Bits working group on Broadcasting Treaty?

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Mon Mar 2 06:17:15 EST 2015

Dear Jeremy,

FYI, there is quite a bit of civil society coordination on this treaty, and that's been true for almost a decade. EFF has always been a part of it, starting under Gwen and then following on with Carolina, and there are many others from civil society involved. There's actually a strong coalition of industry and civil society that works very closely together on this treaty and has for many years; I was the de-facto coordinator of it for a long time, and I'm still very involved in it.

It would be duplicative for BestBits to start from scratch on this very technical and long-running process and it could be counterproductive to have two separate coalitions of civil society coming up with separate responses to the same subject. Believe me when I tell you the broadcasters will seize on any perception of differences between communities to argue that the treaty should move forward.

Regards, Nick