[bestbits] Best Bits working group on Broadcasting Treaty?

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Mar 2 05:59:31 EST 2015

At a Best Bits steering committee meeting on 1 March it was suggested we could start a new fluid working group to coordinate a civil society response the proposed WIPO Broadcasting Treaty, because of the potential impacts of the treaty on Internet video streaming services. Were we to take this on this could overlap a bit with other networks on IP, but I’m not aware that there is any other real coordination of civil society against the Broadcasting Treaty.  So I’m putting it to the group to gauge how much interest there may be from Best Bits participants in working together on this.  If you are interested, please reply and we can take it further.

Here is some background:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/12/danger-post-fixation-rights-wipo-broadcasting-treaty <https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/12/danger-post-fixation-rights-wipo-broadcasting-treaty>

I’m also happy to answer any questions about why the potential impacts of the Broadcasting Treaty.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en