[bestbits] Releasing revised Best Bits procedures for comment

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Mar 2 00:10:11 EST 2015

Dear all,

There has been an ongoing process of revision of the procedures of Best Bits, which are like our rules or constitution except a little less formal than that.  To shepherd this process along, a volunteer working group came together at the Istanbul Best Bits meeting, and the steering committee has received their draft and yesterday agreed that it was ready to send to the larger list for further discussion, with a view to approving it by consensus.

The document is attached showing revision marks, and we invite your comments, in absence of which we will make a consensus call and if a rough consensus has been reached, update the website with the updated procedures. There is also a Google Docs version of the draft for those who prefer it, please write to me if you would like the link.

An issue that arose during our meeting that is not included in this draft but which we resolved to raise as a question for the list - should we specify in the procedures that the basis for running for election to the steering committee in a regional position is the candidate's country of residence rather than their country of citizenship?  Or alternatively, should we add a provision that requires to disclose their country of residence and country of citizenship when running for a regional position, so that the voters can decide based on which of those they feel is most relevant?

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en