[bestbits] Call for Submissions for new UN study on use of encryption and anonymity

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Fri Jan 23 06:11:43 EST 2015

I definitely think we should Ian. Cameron's proposals are horrendous.
But we should also respond so that we can maintain good, supportive
relationship with the SR.

We all know how incredibly valuable the relationship with Frank la Rue
was. SR's require our support and we can benefit hugely from theirs.

We can make links with regional processes in our response (special
hearing in LAC that happened late last year and African Declaration
process in Africa, for example. Not sure if there is anything happening
in Asia?)

It is also a good opportunity to refer to the strengths (mention of the
UNGA resolution) and weaknesses in the NMI statement of principles with
regard to encryption and anonymity.

Anriette

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/obama-announces-new-cyber-war-games-partnership-with-great-britain-20150116

mailto:bestbits at lists.bestbits.net

<mailto:joana at varonferraz.com>> wrote:

>     Very important. Thanks for sharing. Will be happy to produce
inputs from the Brazilian Perspective. If anyone from Latam also want to
do so, please, ping me and we can do something regional.

<deborah at apc.org <mailto:deborah at apc.org>> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> In case of interest, the new UN Special Rapporteur David Kaye is looking
> at the use of encryption and anonymity in his first report and is
> encouraging input from civil society. The deadline is 10 Feb.
>
> Best,
> Deborah
>
> http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/FreedomOpinion/Pages/CallForSubmission.aspx
>

>       Special Rapporteur will study the use of encryption and anonymity
> in digital communications in his 2015 HRC report
>
> The Special Rapporteur on the protection and promotion of the right to
> freedom of opinion and expression, David Kaye, is currently preparing a
> report on the legal framework governing the relationship between freedom
> of expression and the use of encryption to secure transactions and
> communications, and other technologies to transact and communicate
> anonymously online. This report will be presented to the Human Rights
> Council in June, 2015.
>
> To prepare his study, Mr. Kaye is gathering information on national
> laws, regulations, policies or practices that permit or limit, directly
> or indirectly, the use of encryption technologies and services or the
> ability of individuals to communicate anonymously online. All States are
> being asked called to submit information on their relevant national
> norms and policies.
>
> Similarly, the Special Rapporteur would like to encourage all interested
> non-governmental stakeholders – including civil society, corporate
> actors, international and regional organizations, and national human
> rights institutions – to provide their views on the appropriate scope of
> the right to freedom of expression as applied to encryption and
> anonymity. He would particularly appreciate receiving comments
> addressing this matter from legal, state practice, or technical
> perspectives.
>
> Any available information should be sent electronically to
> freedex at ohchr.org <mailto:freedex at ohchr.org> <mailto:freedex at ohchr.org
> <mailto:freedex at ohchr.org>>, *not later than 10
> February 2015*.

>     --
>     Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

> /Carolina Rossini /
> /Vice President, International Policy/
> *Public Knowledge*
> _http://www.publicknowledge.org/_
> + 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini

anriette esterhuysen
executive director
association for progressive communications
po box 29755, melville, 2109, south africa
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org