[bestbits] IGF/MAG Update - January 2015

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:50:54 EST 2015

Extremely useful, Lea. It will certainly facilitate planning and
engagement.
Thank you very much!
Marília

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Lea Kaspar <lea at gp-digital.org> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> With apologies for not sharing this sooner, below is a brief update on the
> current status of IGF preparations and the activities currently being
> carried out by the IGF MAG.
>
> To start with a time-sensitive issue, please note that the* community is
> currently invited to provide input on IGF's inter-sessional activities*.
> The* deadline *to submit input is *Monday, February 2*:
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/176-igf-2015/preparatory-process/2142-open-call-for-input-on-inter-sessional-work
>
> Defining the modalities and themes for intersessional work is perhaps the
> most important task for the MAG and the community this year. It will be
> instrumental in maximising the value of the Forum beyond the annual
> Conference, and, especially in light of the WSIS+10 Review, to demonstrate
> its value to the wider audiences. As the IGF mandate runs out this year,
> and its future gets decided by governments in New York this December,
> getting intersessional work off the ground could be one of the key
> variables in deciding the final outcome. So please share this call with
> your networks and provide input if you can!
>
> For those of you who want *to join* the dedicated MAG working group on
> intersessional activities, the info on how to do this is below.
>
> With warm wishes,
>
> Lea
>
> ----
>
> *Summary of the December MAG meeting and status of IGF 2015 preparations*
>
>    - The newly formed MAG met for the first time on 1-3 December in
>    Geneva. The Chair's summary can be found here
>    <http://intgovforum.org/cms/documents/igf-meeting/igf-2015-joao-pessoa/422-december-2014-open-consultations-and-mag-meeting-summary-report/file>
>    .
>    - The work of the MAG and dedicated working groups (WGs) will be
>    carried out remotely through calls and mailing lists, as well as through in
>    person meetings. Next MAG face to face meetings will take place in:
>    - *May 20-22, Geneva* (to focus on workshop selection*)*
>       - *Early September, New York* (to maximise opportunity to engage
>       decision-makers in NY involved in the WSIS process and push for IGF mandate
>       renewal)
>    - To tackle specific tasks, work of the MAG has been organised into
>    dedicated WGs. The WGs report regularly to the full MAG, which has the
>    final decision-making authority.
>    - At the December meeting, *7 WGs were set up:*
>
> Working GroupMailing list nameMailing list sign up pageLead FacilitatorsIGF
> 2015 themesigf2015_themes at intgovforum.org
> Fonseca Filho.Intersessional activitiesintersessional_2015 at intgovforum.org
> Boukadoum,; Virat Bhatia; Avri Doria; Lynn St. Amour.Main Session
> guidelinesms_guidelines_2015 at intgovforum.org
> Wagner; Subi Chaturvedi; Virginia Paque.Outreach communication
> outreach_com_2015 at intgovforum.org
> LazanskiRemote participationrp_2015 at intgovforum.org
> [...]

*Marília Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" -
http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en