[bestbits] [governance] Re: [JNC - Forum] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Oct 29 02:37:32 EDT 2014

On 29 Oct 2014, at 12:41 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> For a long time I have believed, and in fact still do, that a transnational system of naming, numbering, and routing of Internet traffic, which does not fully map on to sovereign boundaries, is an excellent check on the national state's inherent tendency to use possible controls on a nation's informational space for illegitimate purposes.

	Well, it is great when we can agree.

> However, for this purpose, that particular transnational system has to be fair and just, and democratic. And since nothing is perfect, it should at least show marked tendencies in the direction of becoming fair, just and democratic.

	Do you believe that allocation based on need for IPv4 was not fair and just?

	I'd add that I, personally, would have to add 'objective and rational' to the list of desirable characteristics, because India seems to be proposing something that seems on the face of it to approach what seems to satisfy some of its principles, yet is poorly though out and probably unimplementable...

> The problem however is that the current transnational system - managed by the ICANN family of institutions - and of course under significant US control - shows no such signs of becoming what it needs to become, ie fair, just and democratic.
>
> Developing countries, including India, have for decades been crying hoarse, pleading, 'please, become more fair and democratic...'.

	Well, crying some variant of 'please give more power to national governments', and claiming it's all about democracy while sitting next to China and Russia and the KSA etc...

> Such appeals get the most humiliating responses - from a  stony silence, to, well, 'we made the Internet, and so have some regard and patience'.

	Or the observation that claiming it is all about democracy while enlisting the support of China and Russia against a system backed by a wide range of democratic nations looks a bit suspicious.....

> India, and some others like Brazil, at least must be credited for being extremely patient and conciliatory. (I sometime marvel how they have been so patient .) But all this to no avail. The hegemony stays unshaken, just gets more and more strengthened by the day.... (Unfortunately, most of, what goes in the name of, civil society in the IG space has consistently supported this hegemony, *for all practical purposes* but let me not digress.)

	Cries to become more democratic aside (I've already observed that JNC rhetoric about democracy seems to frequently end up calling for solutions that seem somewhat un-democratic to me, so we are unlikely to agree unless you are willing to break with the JNC general push towards the ITU), do you have an issue with the current process or result?
	So, do you have a problem with the actual allocation of IP#s followed by the RIRs? You would have proposed a different principle than allocation via need, so slowing internet deployment in early adopting areas?

> In the circumstances, I think that any self respecting country has no other option but to say, ok, if you just refuse to budge on the international regime, let the sovereign countries do these things themselves - meaning, naming, numbering, and routing processes.

> The rule of democratic law must apply, and if it cannot apply through international regimes, then let it be through separate national ones. That is what the India proposal is about.

	Ah, yes, the ever popular JNC line of  'in order to make it more democratic, it is important to empower state based governance even when its undemocratic'. I'm still not able to reconcile the rhetoric with the result.

	Cheers

		David