[bestbits] [JNC - Forum] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 29 00:41:48 EDT 2014

For a long time I have believed, and in fact still do, that a
transnational system of naming, numbering, and routing of Internet
traffic, which does not fully map on to sovereign boundaries, is an
excellent check on the national state's inherent tendency to use
possible controls on a nation's informational space for illegitimate
purposes. However, for this purpose, that particular transnational
system has to be fair and just, and democratic. And since nothing is
perfect, it should at least show marked tendencies in the direction of
becoming fair, just and democratic. The problem however is that the
current transnational system - managed by the ICANN family of
institutions - and of course under significant US control - shows no
such signs of becoming what it needs to become, ie fair, just and
democratic.

Developing countries, including India, have for decades been crying
hoarse, pleading, 'please, become more fair and democratic...'. Such
appeals get the most humiliating responses - from a  stony silence, to,
well, 'we made the Internet, and so have some regard and patience'.
India, and some others like Brazil, at least must be credited for being
extremely patient and conciliatory. (I sometime marvel how they have
been so patient .) But all this to no avail. The hegemony stays
unshaken, just gets more and more strengthened by the day....
(Unfortunately, most of, what goes in the name of, civil society in the
IG space has consistently supported this hegemony, *for all practical
purposes* but let me not digress.)

In the circumstances, I think that any self respecting country has no
other option but to say, ok, if you just refuse to budge on the
international regime, let the sovereign countries do these things
themselves - meaning, naming, numbering, and routing processes. The rule
of democratic law must apply, and if it cannot apply through
international regimes, then let it be through separate national ones.
That is what the India proposal is about. As I said, I still think that
a positive tension between a (fair and democratic) transnational system
and a more close-to-things and implementable national one is the best
thing in this space, is best for the Internet, generally, speaking. But
if those who squat in the positions of power and control over the
current global regime (see Just Net Coalition's latest statement
<http://www.itu.int/en/plenipotentiary/2014/Documents/ITU_PP_2014_Stmt2.pdf>
) simply refuse to hear, I think that it is absolutely fair for a
country like India to bring such a resolution to any appropriate global
governance forum, as it has to the ITU Plenipotentiary. In fact it wont
be doing its duty if it were not to so such a thing.

I hope more countries back this resolution, and it serves to create
positive tension vis a vis the current unacceptable global regime, out
of which contestation something good, which is the best for the global
public interest comes out..

parminder