[bestbits] Fw: straw poll results

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Mar 25 19:46:04 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,
I have been waiting for a gap from other issues to publish the results of the recent poll as regards the future of the civil society co ordination group (cscg). But having come to the conclusion that any clear air from other issues is probably months away, I think people should be aware of the results now and give any feedback to the current group on next steps.
I am attaching a more detailed summary of the results. But a quick summary is

30 respondents

Most respondents favour a cscg that includes individuals as well as organisations

Strong feeling the group should have some sort of charter (however minimal)

Good support for 5 new members being added

Many more findings included in the document.

Some personal comments:

There is clearly a desire for this group to be expanded if it continues to exist.

The only ongoing role I can see for this group currently is to try to co ordinate civil society appointments to MAG.(unless other needs for civil society representation occur). Whether this justifies all the effort of a continuing organisation is a relevant question.

Many of the questions I think should await formation of a new expanded group, eg

a.       Evolution of a charter

b.      Whether or not to rotate existing members and if so when (see survey findings on this)

Anyway, here it is for comments and discussion.

Ian Peter