[governance] Re: [bestbits] Three NETmundial submissions launched for endorsement at bestbits.net

joy joy at apc.org
Thu Mar 6 04:55:26 EST 2014

As Anriette has already noted - in relation to the APC Charter the full
quote in Theme 6.1 is:

    Internet governance should be multilateral and democratic, with the
    full involvement of governments, the private sector, civil society
    and international organisations. No single government should have a
    pre-eminent role in relation to international internet governance.

This does not mean that APC thinks that multi-stakeholder processes are
not democratic or desirable.  Quite the contrary and APC has been on
record in many spaces to support multi-stakeholder processes: these are
simply one form of democratic participation. To be fair, the Best Bits
submisson cites a range of other documents and says, taken together,
certain principles relevant to internet governance can be deduced and
should be taken forward into NetMundial, including human rights.

I am happy to support the Best Bits submission: i think its 2
recommendations  are simple, concise and helpful.

It seems the logic of the objections being raised to endorsing the Best
Bits submission is along the lines that on the one hand:
a) governments alone make public policy including some which is relevant
to internet governance
b) governments should be on an equal footing with each other when doing
so; and
c) it follows that non-governmental stakeholders cannot and therefore
should not be on an equal footing with governments this role (though
they can of course be involved/consulted) .

Whereas, the Best Bits submission is premised along the lines that
a) governments and multi-stakeholder processes make public policy which
is relevant to internet governance
b) therefore all stakeholders should be on an equitable footing or
parity with each other when doing so;

Again, I see no reason not to support the Best Bits submission which
simply proposes that whatever internet governance principles NetMundial
is considering, equitable multi-stakholder participation and human
rights (among others) are relevant to them.

Joy
Joy