[bestbits] A disaggregated internet governance taxonomy

Mike Godwin (mgodwin@INTERNEWS.ORG) mgodwin at INTERNEWS.ORG
Tue Apr 15 11:21:13 EDT 2014

Following a suggestion made by Carolina Rossini at a New America Foundation panel she moderated, I mined Laura DeNardis’s and Mark Raymond’s paper (“Thinking Clearly about Multistakeholder Governance”) for its big chart of “disaggregated internet governance” functions.

I find it’s useful to look at this chart (somewhat clumsily assembled by me and attached here as a PDF) and ask which of these functions are best administered by multi-stakeholder process, which are best administered by expert bodies (including self-selected experts), which are best administered by governments or intergovernmental entities, and so forth.

Here’s a link to DeNardis’s talk about her new internet-governance book:
The Global War for Internet Governance with Dr. Laura DeNardis:
http://youtu.be/i_bZw-O7cC0
 via @YouTube

Unsurprisingly, DeNardis says there’s no one-size-fits-all solution for administering every aspect of internet governance.

—Mike