process Re: [bestbits] [Meeting Report]: friday meeting with fadi et all

Tapani Tarvainen tapani.tarvainen at effi.org
Thu Oct 31 03:32:02 EDT 2013

While I wouldn't put in quite as strong terms as Avri,
I tend to agree -- I also dislike secret lists.

Sometimes closed lists are unavoidable, but I see little
need for such here, rather the contrary: it would eat
our legitimacy, make it seem we don't act the way we preach.

I would have no problem with a closed-but-public list,
i.e., one with restricted subscription but publicly
visible archives, but I don't see much need for one here.

But what we're talking about is a closed list without
public archives, with the explicit intent to prevent
outsiders from seeing what's being discussed.
I don't take an absolutist position against one, might
even join (if allowed), but I advise strongly against it.

(A really secret lists, whose very existence is not
public knowledge, I would want nothing to do with.
Don't tell me.)

--
Tapani