process Re: [bestbits] [Meeting Report]: friday meeting with fadi et all

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Oct 31 00:37:07 EDT 2013

On 31/10/13 03:01, Carolina Rossini wrote:
> This is the main point that we should all agree on - and it was agreed
> on during the Best Bits meeting:
>
> "3) At the bestbits meeting, pre-IGF, there was broad support to have
> a more limited list, without private sector and government, for the
> purpose of developing strategies."
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp
> <mailto:ajp at glocom.ac.jp>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Joana,
>
>     Perhaps it will be more difficult to strategize on an open list,
>     or it might feel more difficult.  Reality is everything any
>     reasonably large group discusses will leak.  Likely the only
>     people excluded from the conversation will be other civil society,
>     and at a time when this very small collection of CS should be
>     looking to outreach.
>
>     We survived WSIS and a few years of IGF with open lists

As some may remember, we have had a closed list for some time already,
but have been able to refrain from using it until now.  It's
private at lists.bestbits.net and the list webpage at which you can
subscribe is here:

http://lists.bestbits.net/wws/info/private

I also would be happy to work in the open, but I also recognise that
others feel differently and that there is some justification for those
feelings.

Whilst your point is that "discussions will leak anyway", it's also true
that people will strategise in closed cc groups anyway, if we don't
provide them a closed list.

So In order to accommodate them, the use of the private list (and
potentially other subject-specific closed lists) exists.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.