process Re: [bestbits] [Meeting Report]: friday meeting with fadi et all

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 15:01:01 EDT 2013

This is the main point that we should all agree on - and it was agreed on
during the Best Bits meeting:

"3) At the bestbits meeting, pre-IGF, there was broad support to have a
more limited list, without private sector and government, for the purpose
of developing strategies."

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Thanks Joana,
>
> Perhaps it will be more difficult to strategize on an open list, or it
> might feel more difficult.  Reality is everything any reasonably large
> group discusses will leak.  Likely the only people excluded from the
> conversation will be other civil society, and at a time when this very
> small collection of CS should be looking to outreach.
>
> We survived WSIS and a few years of IGF with open lists
>
> I couldn't attend bestbits, no idea what was discussed there.
>
> > "filter coordination of civil society through steering committees"
>
> Apologies, this must seem like unfair criticism.  I do not know how
> bestbits works, just read your comment about debates with bestbits steering
> committee and about trying to decide how to report. Frustrating not to be
> able to attend any of the Bali civil society meetings, been hoping for
> reports since and there's been nothing, until you wrote, from any of any
> (I've seen.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam
>

> On Oct 29, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Joana Varon wrote:
>
> > Hi Adam,
> >
> > Just a note to clarify: the goal for having a list closed just to civil
> society in its wider definition is not to "filter coordination of civil
> society through steering committees", quite the contrary: it is to be able
> to strategize in a more organized strategic manner among the general
> community.
> >
> > I believe that this particular issue has positively address during the
> bestbits meeting, where there was some general agreement that we could use
> a closed list for sensitive issues. But if anyone feels it is ok to
> strategize about how to engage in a coalition/dialogue with technical and
> business community having companies on the thread or to strategize how to
> engage with the brazilian government for the summit having other
> governments on the list. Please, do not hesitate to raise your point.
> >
> > best
> >
> > joana
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:
> > Hi Joana,
> >
> > Thanks for the notes.  I was in Bali but not able to attend any of the
> meetings discussing the Brazil/ICANN summit plans.  And have been quite
> surprised at the silence about these meetings so a report on this one
> session is great to see.
> >
> > So a general request: could we please improve communication. Mainly I
> mean reporting from meetings such as those held in Bali: if people are
> attending as civil society, speaking in some way for civil society, then
> please at least report back to the rest.
> >
> > On the issues of closed lists, etc.  Civil society coordination
> shouldn't be filtering through steering committees and others, we got
> through WSIS without an executive, the IGF came from civil society through
> our open processes.  This summit and whatever follows shouldn't be more
> [...]

*Carolina Rossini*
*Project Director, Latin America Resource Center*
Open Technology Institute
*New America Foundation*
//
http://carolinarossini.net/