[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Oct 7 21:21:57 EDT 2013

Jeremy Malcolm [2013-10-04 10:50]:
> On 04/10/2013, at 5:44 PM, Lea Kaspar <Lea at gp-digital.org> wrote:
>> Both the substance of these principles and the process around drafting them is something civil society should have a stance on. If the BB group could draft a joint statement to address civil society concerns around this document, a few of us who managed to get accredited (I am aware of four other CS people who are going) could aim to submit it to the governments while in Seoul.
>> I think Parminder is right – we should pay closer attention to this and related processes. These UN/OECD source documents have not just appeared out of the blue – they have been drafted across many months by governments sitting in these forums, while going almost unnoticed in our circles. Seeing as internet governance is increasingly entering the field of high politics at the UNGA, and how the issue area is becoming an MFA agenda item (rather than just a telecom ministries’ issue), we could do worse than to start working of a strategy to engage in these forums and not just the ITU and WSIS+10-related events. Perhaps something to address at the BB session in Bali?
>
> Luckily we do have people who are involved in those other processes so they are not going completely unnoticed, but this is not the first time that the suggestion has come up that the OECD work could also be relevant to Best Bits.  I would be happy to give a briefing on the OECD Internet Policy Principles in Bali if we have time.

Focussing on the policymaking principles outlined in the OECD communiqu:
apart from process related issues of lack of representation of
developing world governments, in terms of substance how would a
statement of principles that had developing world participation look
different?

Which of the following policymaking principles would not find place if
the same exercise had been undertaken by a more globally representative
grouping, and what policymaking principles would potentially have been
added?

1. Promote and protect the global free flow of information;
2. Promote the open, distributed and interconnected nature of the Internet;
3. Promote investment and competition in high speed networks and services;
4. Promote and enable the cross-border delivery of services;
5. Encourage multi-stakeholder co-operation in policy development processes;
6. Foster voluntarily developed codes of conduct;
7. Develop capacities to bring publicly available, reliable data into
the policy-making process;
8. Ensure transparency, fair process, and accountability;
9. Strengthen consistency and effectiveness in privacy protection at a
global level;
10. Maximise individual empowerment;
11. Promote creativity and innovation;
12. Limit Internet intermediary liability;
13. Encourage co-operation to promote Internet security;
14. Give appropriate priority to enforcement efforts.

Cheers,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash