[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Oct 8 00:04:54 EDT 2013

On 08/10/13 09:21, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> Focussing on the policymaking principles outlined in the OECD communiqu:
> apart from process related issues of lack of representation of
> developing world governments, in terms of substance how would a
> statement of principles that had developing world participation look
> different?

There is only one way to find out, and that is to deal with the process
related issues.  But for a rough idea, we can look at the Brazilian
Principles for the Governance and Use of the Internet.  Notable
additions compared to the OECD principles:

  * *Universality:* Internet access must be universal so that it becomes
    a tool for human and social development, thereby contributing to the
    formation of an inclusive and nondiscriminatory society, for the
    benefit of all
  * *Standardization and interoperability:* The Internet must be based
    on open standards that facilitate interoperability and enable all to
    participate in its development
  * *Neutrality of the network:* Filtering or traffic privileges must
    meet ethical and technical criteria only, excluding any political,
    commercial, religious and cultural factors or any other form of
    discrimination or preferential treatment

and notable omissions:

  * Promote investment and competition in high speed networks and services;
  * Promote and enable the cross-border delivery of services;
  * Foster voluntarily developed codes of conduct;
  * Maximise individual empowerment;
  * Give appropriate priority to enforcement efforts.

More could be written about this, but there is a very different emphasis
with the OECD principles much more individualistic and biased towards
trade, than the Brazilian principles.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge
hub | http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
<http://www.facebook.com/consumersinternational>

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't
print this email unless necessary.

*WARNING*: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly
recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For
instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.