[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri Oct 4 10:50:24 EDT 2013

On 04/10/2013, at 5:44 PM, Lea Kaspar <Lea at gp-digital.org> wrote:

> Both the substance of these principles and the process around drafting them is something civil society should have a stance on. If the BB group could draft a joint statement to address civil society concerns around this document, a few of us who managed to get accredited (I am aware of four other CS people who are going) could aim to submit it to the governments while in Seoul.

This would have to be done before our meeting in Bali, then.  Do you want to start something off on the etherpad?

> I think Parminder is right – we should pay closer attention to this and related processes. These UN/OECD source documents have not just appeared out of the blue – they have been drafted across many months by governments sitting in these forums, while going almost unnoticed in our circles. Seeing as internet governance is increasingly entering the field of high politics at the UNGA, and how the issue area is becoming an MFA agenda item (rather than just a telecom ministries’ issue), we could do worse than to start working of a strategy to engage in these forums and not just the ITU and WSIS+10-related events. Perhaps something to address at the BB session in Bali?

Luckily we do have people who are involved in those other processes so they are not going completely unnoticed, but this is not the first time that the suggestion has come up that the OECD work could also be relevant to Best Bits.  I would be happy to give a briefing on the OECD Internet Policy Principles in Bali if we have time.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.