[bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:01:42 EDT 2013

+1

From: bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net
[mailto:bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net] On Behalf Of Lea Kaspar
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 2:45 AM
To: parminder; bestbits at lists.bestbits.net
Subject: RE: [bestbits] Outcome of cyberspace conference in Seoul

Hi Parminder, Byoung-il Oh and others,

To substantiate the discussion below, find attached the most up-to-date
draft of the set of principles being discussed in Seoul.

The ‘principles’ are a set of articles taken from other documents. Most
originate from the General Assembly (GGE refers to the Group of Governmental
Experts which is housed within the first committee of the UNGA which deals
with security) or the OECD. They will be included as part of the chairman’s
report, which the organisers might ask attending governments to sign on to.
For example, one of the principles in there is this:

・         State Sovereignty and international norms and principles that
flow from sovereignty apply to State conduct of ICT-related activities, and
to their jurisdiction over ICT infrastructure within their territory.(UN
GGE Report 2013, Para 20)

Interestingly (and somewhat ironically), though, given the closed process in
which this document is being drafted, the document also quotes the following
articles:

・         Stakeholders including business, civil society, the Internet
technical community and academic institutions, make an essential
contribution to the on-going development of the Internet and the enrichment
of society using the Internet. (OECD Communique on Principles for Internet
Policy-Making)

・         The international management of the Internet should be
multilateral, transparent and democratic, with the full involvement of
Government, the private sector, civil society, academic and technical
communities and international organizations.(UN A/RES/67/195)

Both the substance of these principles and the process around drafting them
is something civil society should have a stance on. If the BB group could
draft a joint statement to address civil society concerns around this
document, a few of us who managed to get accredited (I am aware of four
other CS people who are going) could aim to submit it to the governments
while in Seoul.

I think Parminder is right - we should pay closer attention to this and
related processes. These UN/OECD source documents have not just appeared out
of the blue - they have been drafted across many months by governments
sitting in these forums, while going almost unnoticed in our circles. Seeing
as internet governance is increasingly entering the field of high politics
at the UNGA, and how the issue area is becoming an MFA agenda item (rather
than just a telecom ministries’ issue), we could do worse than to start
working of a strategy to engage in these forums and not just the ITU and
WSIS+10-related events. Perhaps something to address at the BB session in
Bali?

Looking forward to taking this forward.

Best,

Lea