[bestbits] Logistical note for Best Bits meeting participants

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Oct 16 10:47:18 EDT 2013

Hi John

The kind of issues that you raise are among the ones that will be
discussed. So we take your input into the session.. However, all the
points that you mention are such that everyone here will agree should be
part of all policy making processes.. But the real issue, in my view,
lies elsewhere. What is the role of non gov participants - especially
but not only private companies -  in situations where actual public
policy making is involved - real public policy which directly affects
people's important interests, and somewhere/ somehow also involves use
of corecive force in some way or the other.

Say, if net neutrality regulation is being developed in a country, is it
necessary that big telco business should be an 'equal' part of that
decision, and perhaps have some kind of veto over that decision. Same
for privacy regulation, or, to go further, universal access policies,
consumer protection laws and so on..

parminder