[bestbits] Logistical note for Best Bits meeting participants

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Oct 16 10:25:09 EDT 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 3:30 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> The two-day meeting has been divided roughly into four half-day sessions, covering just about all of the most critical Internet policy issues of the moment.  Although the agenda (particularly for Day 1 morning) is still slightly fluid, we will cover mass government surveillance, the Brazil/ICANN plan for globalisation of Internet goverernance, Internet principles, and the processes underway at WSIS+10 and the Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation, plus more

I note on the agenda is the item "What is multi-stakeholderism?" (presumably with
respect to matters of Internet coordination/governance)

As obvious as this question might seem, it is not clear that everyone is using the
term in the same manner, and documenting the meaning of the term with some
clarity might be very helpful in the coming days (particularly if it were to be defined
from the civil society perspective)

In particular, does multi-stakeholderism imply or require:

- Agreement of all participants to work to collective goal or common purpose?

- Openness and inclusiveness in seeking input/views from all interested parties?

- Documents and materials made freely available online to all parties?

- Clear, equitable processes for developing outcomes which provide consideration of all inputs/views?

- Respect for all participants involved?

If there is a statement or accepted norm with respect to the term "multi-stakeholder"
(in matters of Internet coordination/governance) I am not aware of it, although the term
does seem to be used quite a bit and might benefit from a more solid set of principles
regarding its use.  If this suggestion is not aligned with your present plans or goals for
the meeting, feel free to discard it as desired.

Thanks!
/John

Disclaimers: My views alone.  These views were not formed via multi-stakeholder
                   processes (unless one credits various portions of my consciousness
                   with independent stakeholder status... ;-)