[bestbits] Logistical note for Best Bits meeting participants

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 13:25:59 EDT 2013

Very good start John but could I add a comment

I think in most of these discussions both in attempts to define MSism and
even in those contexts where the term is being used to describe a process
there is an implicit assumption of trustworthiness of the various parties.
That is, there seems to be a belief in/acceptance of the good faith of the
various parties -- no hidden motives, no hidden agendas, no hidden loyalties
or financial (or other) relationships. Thus there seems to be an expectation
that people/"stakeholders" are who and what they say they are and that their
involvement is transparent and their only specific accountability is what
they are presenting through their contribution to the MS process itself.

Without going into it I think if we are going to attempt to
define/articulate a realistic and robust "MS process" or definition of MSism
we have to take into account the possibility, even the likelihood, that the
above set of beliefs does not hold true; that various of the stakeholders
for example might not, in John's terms below, be "work(ing) to collective
goal or common purpose" but may rather be working to (non-revealed) purposes
of individual, group, corporate, ideological or national self-interest. In
fact it may be that the assumption by some of the existance of a "common
purpose" could be self-destructively "naïve" and that in some circumstance
at least no common goal or purpose does or even could  exist among those who
are defininng themselves (and being accepted) as "stakeholders".

That being the case what would/could an effective MS process look like?