[bestbits] Do we really want to shoot in Dilma's foot?

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue Oct 15 13:53:21 EDT 2013

Hi

On Oct 15, 2013, at 4:35 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill and Avri,
>
> Interesting arguments based on an assumption of significant USG Internet policy incoherence*,

Well, Avri's statement that "NSA's goals are not NTIA's goals" doesn't necessarily translate into significant USG Internet policy incoherence.  Different agencies, different missions, heretofore compatible from their standpoints.   NTIA is dealing with root, IANA, ICANN contract.  NSA is dealing with snooping, not really a names and numbers thing so much.  The latter has made the former's work much more difficult and pushed it to accelerate efforts to figure out a way forward that would play (or at least be functionally sound and cause the least political opposition) both domestically and internationally.  There's no way to know ex ante what path this will follow and whether a solution will be found or the thing crashes and burns, there are too many moving parts and cross-cutting pressures at work.  Not an easy position to be in.

Bill

> and of course you may have a deeper insight into the behaviour of the USG than others but I'm seeing the following from this quite recent policy statement from the Obama Whitehouse:
>
> MAY 2011, Prosperity, Security, and Openness in a Networked World: INTERNATIONAL STR ATEGY FOR CYBERSPACE
> http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/international_strategy_for_cyberspace.pdf
>
> Strength at Home
>
> Ensuring the resilience of our networks and information systems requires collective and concerted national action that spans the whole of government, in collaboration with the private sector and individual citizens.
>
> The report goes on to outline the principles/strategy being promoted by the USG including matters of governance, internal and external security, infrastructure etc.etc.
>
> A quick read of this statement is interesting background to the discussions we are about to have in Bali.

> *A bit surprising I would have thought given the recognition at least in the Executive Office of the long term significance of the Internet--"This world—cyberspace—is a world that we depend on every single day… Barack Obama

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org