[governance] RE: [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 09:48:12 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

I would hate to see this debate drag on for a few more days because with
that time and energy, we could get something out to the Brazilian
government/ presidency if that were to be the preferred choice by whatever
decision-making procedure is required here. So instead of further debating
this, the concerned organs (co-cos or steering committee, depending on
whether we're talking about IGC or BestBits) may exercise their judgement
as to whether to initiate such decision procedure. I (and I'm sure many
others here) certainly can live with either course of action because the
truth is nothing is really certain here, keeping in mind the following.

1. We may be looking at about two weeks (not 1) from now for the delivery
of any outcome from Bali BestBits to President Rousseff (I am assuming that
since the Bali session will be developing a full CS agenda, it might take
the whole day session to get something out and there shall be a few days
given to online comments and discussions by a broader audience and maybe
endorsements, etc.)

2. It is safe to assume that President Rousseff and Chair & CEO Chehade
have not personally and directly been working on this initiative since they
declared it, but that a team is tasked on both sides to follow up and work
on details, etc. IMHO, it is a conjecture to say two weeks from now the
train will have left the station just as it is a bet to think it won't (and
as a result CS would not be playing catch-up, in its usual reactive mode.)
We may choose one path or the other, we should be able to admit that there
is no evidence to predict that one will certainly be better for us, across
the board, than the other (even though we can make sound arguments as to
why we think one or the other would be a smarter and more productive
choice), as that outcome will also depend on a number of things that may
happen in the next, say, ten days, which we don't have control over.

3. On the basis of the above, if our "Custodians" think it's worth getting
into decision mode, then let's get into the decision mode. Otherwise,
please let's adjourn the debate as to what is best and what is not, what is
right and what is wrong, until Bali.

4. Lastly, please note that a more substantive document (including CS
proposed agenda) coming out of Bali should be addressed to both President
Rousseff and Chair & CEO Chehade.

Thanks,

Mawaki