[governance] [bestbits] Rousseff & Chehade: Brazil will host world event on Internet governance in 2014

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 12 09:52:18 EDT 2013

Thanks for this excellent analysis, Mawaki,

Just adding a few more points.

Most of such 'really politically meaningful' initiatives like the
Rousseff-ICANN one, rather the somewhat less than real ones like the
IGF, look at civil society as a pesky, disruptive group of people, and
would not dare take them in into the core organising effort in any
really meaningful way... Brazil has been different in substantial ways,
both at domestic as well as global levels, and there is an outside
chance here that civil society, in its real  sense rather just co-opting
select people, may just get in a foot in the door early. With the
possibility that civil society could in fact be a real partner, as to
some extent it is in the Open Government Partnership.... However, unlike
like open gov movement, global IG is a highly political space, and any
such opportunity will quickly lost. Be sure that right now many big
global powers are making fervent calculations about how to respond to
this sudden development of Dilma-ICANN initiative, and they will set in
various kinds of strategies - including subversive ones - very soon. The
canvass therefore is a rapidly shifting one, and if civil society has to
act, it has to act rapidly - whichever be the directions of its efforts.
That is all..

parminder