[bestbits] FW: [OGP] fw URGENT: Call for signatures on Surveillance statement

Anne Jellema anne at webfoundation.org
Mon Nov 4 06:46:02 EST 2013

Thanks Michael. Web Foundation was present at the OGP and we initiated this
statement together with Access Info Europe and some other friends in the
RTI and transparency communities. Endorsements are open until 11 November:
http://www.webfoundation.org/2013/11/statement-of-concern-on-disproportionate-surveillance/

We'd already drafted the statement before Aruna Roy's remarks in plenary,
but her intervention gave us a lot more momentum. She asked why governments
are spying, carrying out mass surveillance and passing laws that were
limiting space for civic and democratic action, despite talking at OGP
about building partnerships between civil society and government. Kerry
admitted that NSA surveillance had "in some cases" gone “too far," and was
allowed to happen "on autopilot". Video of the session is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2RpCvLIYk and news coverage
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/31/john-kerry-some-surveillance-gone-too-far

Best wishes
Anne

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> An interesting sign on letter below from our fraternal CS cousins in the
> Open Government Partnership process.
>

> The sign on letter is I think of particular interest in that it calls for
> transparency around surveillance to be built into national OGP
> plans/commitments. (evidently there was a significant dust-up between
> Indian Right to Information activist Aruna Roy and John Kerry over
> transparency, open government and surveillance as a highlight of the just
> concluded OGP event in London.

Anne Jellema
Chief Executive Officer
Cape Town, RSA
mob (ZA) +27 61 036 9652
tel (ZA) +27 21 788 4585
tel (US) +1 202 684 6885
Skype anne.jellema
@afjellema

World Wide Web Foundation | 1889 F Street NW, Washington DC, 20006, USA |
www.webfoundation.org | Twitter: @webfoundation