[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 10:59:29 EST 2013

Joana and all,

Unfortunately in the post-Snowden world "trust us" is not a sufficient
answer-only transparency and accountability are.

As long as the Steering Committee is self-appointed through murky procedures
and as long as this self-appointed (Interim or no) Steering Committee
chooses to act (and present itself to the world) as though it has a mandate
to act on behalf of the BB grouping whatever that might be, there will
necessarily and quite reasonably be a lack of trust and questions as to
legitimacy.

There are two solutions, either open up the (Interim) Steering Committee to
self-nominations, or have the (Interim) Steering Committee as its final act
create and execute a (if necessary summary) procedure for selection (and
thus legitimation).

If there are concerns about the Steering Committee being unworkable then
decision making procedures should be proposed and confirmed by the BB list.

Without the above, issues of legitimacy will, one would anticipate,
undermine any actions/presentations/nominations coming out of BB in any
case.