[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Nov 21 03:24:11 EST 2013

On 20 Nov 2013, at 10:59 pm, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately in the post-Snowden world “trust us” is not a sufficient answer—only transparency and accountability are.
>
> As long as the Steering Committee is self-appointed through murky procedures and as long as this self-appointed (Interim or no) Steering Committee chooses to act (and present itself to the world) as though it has a mandate to act on behalf of the BB grouping whatever that might be, there will necessarily and quite reasonably be a lack of trust and questions as to legitimacy.

Actually the only such questions are coming from within; we are undermining ourselves, and to my mind unnecessarily so.  Snowden did not tar civil society with the same brush as the NSA.  We have presented an interim procedure for democratising the steering committee in Bali, which remains open for discussion and will be implemented soon once finalised, but to rush its finalisation now at a time when leadership is required would be pointless and would simply remove us from some very important processes that are rolling along with or without us.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.