[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Nov 20 06:40:37 EST 2013

This will be my last contribution to this thread because I am about to board a flight.

> I see absolutely no harm made to our substantive work, that is needed at this critical juncture, by referring the names we have to IGC process of MAG nominee selection rather than do it through an unapproved process by BB steering committee. This is taking up of unauthorised powers by the steering committee , and I would  not be a party to it.

Since people can self nominate directly to the IGF Secretariat, this process is essentially no different, other than the network has the opportunity to support those nominations, and thereby give them more weight, through an open, rough consensus process. Some people do not want to use the IGC process directly for various reasons.  (One of those reasons is that they feel that the IGC is too hostile because of unnecessarily heated attacks that take place there.  Everyone should be mindful of the tone of the emails they send to the Best Bits list, to avoid us falling into the same trap.)

> Neither a chorus of support for steering committee doing the selections ot reps, nominees etc on behalf of BB membership... As said it has to be express and not implied approval of the membership of BB...

As I explained in my last email, the steering committee did not select anyone.  We passed along some hopefully helpful information that could be used to inform the rough consensus process by which the network could choose to support some or all of the self-nominations that we received.  The process is lighter weight than the IGC's process, and deliberately so.  But from the outset the process was presented as a trial, which we could then later improve.  Anja has already suggested a specific way this process could be improved next time, and there will be other improvements to make too.

> Meaning, you are going ahead with the process of selection of MAG nominees by the steering committee, are you?

Not by the steering committee, no - as explained above.  But both the nominees who put their names forward, and others, would like to complete this process, as imperfect as it may be, so that those who are not part of the IGC can have another network publicly support their candidacy for the MAG.  As mentioned above, due to travel this is my last contribution to this thread and I request that you take up any further issues with me or one of the other steering committee members directly and off-list.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Explore our new Resource Zone - the global consumer movement knowledge hub |http://www.consumersinternational.org/news-and-media/resource-zone

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

WARNING: This email has not been encrypted. You are strongly recommended to enable PGP or S/MIME encryption at your end. For instructions, see http://jere.my/l/8m.