[bestbits] Best Bits MAG nominations for your approval - URGENT

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 20 04:03:04 EST 2013

On Wednesday 20 November 2013 02:17 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2013, at 4:29 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>> If separate working group lists can be made to address substantive
>> issues why cant such a group also be set up to finalise processes and
>> structures for BB...
>
> Sure, that's a good idea.  Let's do that.  It was meant that this
> discussion and revision to the processes would be ongoing on the wiki,
> but that has been hampered by website issues, which I'm still working
> on.  In the meantime until the wiki is more usable, we could as easily
> create another working group for revision to the processes.  Whoever
> is interested to be on such a working group, in addition to the
> interim steering committee members, please let me know and we can set
> that up.
>
> Obviously we will not place Best Bits into stasis in the meantime, at
> such a critical juncture.

I see absolutely no harm made to our substantive work, that is needed at
this critical juncture, by referring the names we have to IGC process of
MAG nominee selection rather than do it through an unapproved process by
BB steering committee. This is taking up of unauthorised powers by the
steering committee , and I would  not be a party to it.

>  We have been listening but there has not been a chorus of approval
> for your process concerns,

Neither a chorus of support for steering committee doing the selections
ot reps, nominees etc on behalf of BB membership... As said it has to be
express and not implied approval of the membership of BB...

> and on the contrary many people have expressed the desire for us to
> continue in a loosely institutionalised manner.

Which means nothing per any kind of assent by BB membership (a concept
that you have conveniently evaporated) to processes of nominee/ rep
selection being done by steering commitee of BB . Are you going to take
the self decided mandate to 'keep working in loosely institutionalised
process' to do whatever hits your or steering committee's fancy? That
would be such a travesty!

>  So we will continue to iterate and improve, but we will not be
> radically changing course.

Meaning, you are going ahead with the process of selection of MAG
nominees by the steering committee, are you?

parminder