[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat May 11 23:26:02 EDT 2013

On 11/05/2013, at 3:05 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have in other contexts recently had occasion to note that it was incumbent on those offering opinions "to do as they say" and I think that this should hold for CS/BB as stringently as it does to others and in this particular instance the outcome of not following transparent and inclusive processes of text development has I believe led to the creation of a document which I personally have significant reservations in signing onto and where I would most certainly not recommend to my (for example) community informatics colleagues as something to which they might want to adhere.

I agree that we did not follow our own best practices this time and that as a matter of course, there will be deficiencies in the text as a result, some of which you have isolated.  Most of us are operating on shoestring budgets and are juggling multiple responsibilities and deadlines.  But that's no reason not to be self-critical where appropriate, so thanks for that.  Let's all try and plan ahead better for next time.  On a positive note, we are now up to 24 endorsements from a really good spread of countries from all world regions.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map: https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.