[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Fri May 10 05:26:07 EDT 2013

On 10/05/13 17:21, parminder wrote:
> It is unfortunate that an attempt was not made to share a pre-final
> statement with the group. I tend to disagree, on principle,  with
> adopting 'take it or leave it' approaches to development of
> statements. This was not a controversial area, and we could have tried
> drafting a common statement...

That's a fair cop.  We'll do better next time.

> Anyway, a few comments
>
> One, can you pl provide the link to the quoted November statement -
> which statement and whose statement is this ...

The word "statement" is a hyperlink to the WCIT statement that we agreed
in November, now at http://bestbits.net/statement (and the previous URL
redirects there too).

> Secondly, I could not understand the reason and implications of the
> following sentence
>
> "Rather than seeking to address additional issues, we urge the
> Secretary-General to move forward in engaging all stakeholders to
> implement these opinions."
>
> Why should civil society recommend that ITU takes up issues like
> Internet Exchanges and IPv6 adoption (subject matter of the
> 'opinions') and not for instance net neutrality, which is not among
> the subjects covered in the opinions. Why this artificial line about
> what Internet issues ITU may work on?

There is a rationale for this but I'll let one of the others speak to it.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 -- Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational