[bestbits] Civil society statement to the ITU Sec-Gen ahead of WTPF 2013 - PLEASE ENDORSE AND SHARE

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 12 09:45:59 EDT 2013

On Friday 10 May 2013 02:56 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 10/05/13 17:21, parminder wrote:

> <snip>
>>
>> Why should civil society recommend that ITU takes up issues like
>> Internet Exchanges and IPv6 adoption (subject matter of the
>> 'opinions') and not for instance net neutrality, which is not among
>> the subjects covered in the opinions. Why this artificial line about
>> what Internet issues ITU may work on?
>
> There is a rationale for this but I'll let one of the others speak to it.

There is no response of this. I would think any clarification sought on
a public statement deserve to be responded to ....

In any case, if what is meant by the statement

"Rather than seeking to address additional issues, we urge the
Secretary-General to move forward in engaging all stakeholders to
implement these opinions."

is that WTPF rather than address other issues.....move forward..... to
implement these opinions......

I am willing to sign.

Can someone please clarify whether the limitation is placed on WTPF and
on ITU for all times to come....

Thanks. parminder

PS: I do completely agree with Michael though that we should have put
real development issues in. This would also be in keeping with the
mandate bestbits gave itself going forward - to get substantive and
develop a positive agenda, rather than reacting....